I get asked a lot about what is the best exercises or what is the best supplements, etc. for putting on muscle or losing weight. The answer to what is the “secret” to success is not those, but rather a boring and non-sexy answer.
by chip •
I am about 6 weeks from competing this year. Lately, I get asked a lot about preparing for a show. There isn’t much middle ground here: people either think getting in that kind of shape is cool/bad-ass or wonder what the f%ck you are thinking getting up there in a speedo and tanned up like an Oompa Loompa? Truth is, it is a little bit of both.
Why I do it?
- It is really, really hard. It is not easy having the discipline to get up for early morning cardio at 4:30AM while most people are sleeping, stick will a strict diet when peanut butter and Dairy Queen Blizzards are calling for you, etc. It is even harder on days when you don’t feel like doing it, but you still do it.
- Because it is hard, few will ever do it. A lot of people try; most give up along the way. Those 300-600 competitors that show up the day of the competition represent another 300-600 others not there that started prepping for that show and quit or weren’t ready because they lacked the discipline to follow the plan to be ready.
- Putting your heart into something gratifying is, well, gratifying.
- We live in an instant-gratification, look-at-me-selfie world; you learn a lot about delayed gratification and the reward of doing something that takes a long time and sustained effort. Really, most things in life worth something (education, relationships, nice job, etc.) require time and sustained effort.
- Prove the doubters wrong.